Friday, August 14, 2009

The Cupcake Conundrum

Today someone brought in cupcakes for their daughter's birthday at my kids' summer camp. Usually, if I'm aware of a birthday, I send along super-fab cupcakes that make my kids feel good and everyone wins. In this case I didn't have notice so instead they ate from my stash when we got home. I make these up ahead of time and freeze them for situations just like this one. It's suitable for just about anyone with food intolerances.

1 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup unsweetened chocolate powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup oil

Preheat oven to 350 F. Add a small amount of oil to each muffin tin and place in the oven while it's preheating for a few minutes. Mix dry ingredients first, then add the wet and mix until just mixed. Bake for 10 minutes (baking times may vary depending on your oven). The batter will puff up then collapse near the end or after removed. Do not over bake. The toothpick test will come out wet, but don't worry. These are moist and chewy.

For icing, just mix together palm shortening with unsweetened chocolate powder and some agave nectar. Wait for the cupcakes to completely cool before icing.

You can substitute just about any ingredient. Amaranth also works well in place of buckwheat. Corn or arrowroot will work in place of tapioca flour. If anyone is allergic to chocolate, try carob powder. Also the nectar can be substituted with thawed apple juice concentrate, maple syrup or brown rice syrup.

I created this recipe after being inspired by a carob brownie recipe I found in "allergy and celiac diets with ease" by Nicolette M. Dumke

No comments: